Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Chikaramachi Hand Painted China

While visiting family in Canada, I spent a quiet morning exploring my sister-in-law’s china cabinet.  There were several treasures I’ll share with you over the next few Teacup Tuesday’s.

P7222940

She thought that this set was a gift to her great grandparents Rev. & Mrs. French as a wedding gift while they were missionaries in the early 1900’s.

P7222942

Chikaramachi china has been a part of the history of Noritake since 1896.

P7222943

This is an interesting pattern with muted colors of black, brown, gold, blue and mauve.

P7222944

P7222946

The crown within a laurel wreath back stamp on this set was registered in 1928.

P7222945

Isn’t it wonderful when family treasures are handed down to you?

Please visit Terri and Martha for lots more wonderful Teacup Tuesday posts.

9 comments:

Terri said...

Thank you so much for sharing this! I love learning about china and I had not seen this type before. It is really lovely, and I suppose really think china too. It must feel really good to hold and drink from.
Hugs,
Terri

Darlene - The Tea Enthusiast's Scrapbook said...

Welcome Home!

I can see you had a wonderful visit with your family!

I'm a big fan of this style of hand painted china from Japan. What a great hand painted scene. I actually purchased an entire set teapot,creamer,sugar,teacups/saucers, etc.)at a fleamarket for $35. The pattern I purchased has more sunset colors with a similar scene. The set would be great for a sunset tea with friends.

It's wonderful to keep precious treasures in the family! I hope you had a chance to sit on the deck and drink a cup of tea using the family heirlooms.

Thanks for sharing!

Darlene

Snap said...

Wonderful! I ran across a Noritake tea set just this last week and I passed it up. Not this wonderful Chikaranachi pattern. Thank you so much for sharing this. I love learning more. How nice for you too, to visit with family and make these discoveries. Happy Tea Day!

Marilyn Miller said...

A very beautiful family treasure. It almost feels modern in it's shape and style. I love it.

Bernideen said...

I adore old Japanese China pieces. I had a lovely set but s number of years ago our dog wiped it out! Ido collect odds and ends - your set is lovely!

Anonymous said...

I loved your sister's Chikaramachi hand painted china! I have always like china with little scenes on them..I collect some of the season and flower series..but this scene is different and very beautiful....I like the colors in it...thanks for sharing with us today!!
Francy

Angela McRae said...

I'd never heard of this china but I love knowing the history of these great pieces! So glad you were able to explore these teawares while you were there!

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

The make of this china is new to me but has the most interesting pictures on it. Very nice that is has been handed down in the family.
Judith

Martha's Favorites said...

Hi: I never new the history of this china. It is lovely. I have a few pieces. They are so beautiful. Thank you for sharing them with us. Blessings, Martha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...