Friday, January 28, 2011

Tea In The City books

This series of three Tea In The City books  (New York, London & Paris) is a wonderful addition to my tea library.

2011_0128Madison0030

They are on sale right now at Elmwood Inn Fine Teas.  They normally sell for $18.95 each, but you can purchase the set of three for $14.99 right now.

These books are filled with lots of interesting tea facts and history, as well as wonderful photographs of interesting landmarks, antiques, tea foods, etc.  Since they serve as a tea lover’s guide to sipping and shopping in the city, there are many tea rooms listed.  It is quite entertaining to see the photos and visit them on their websites.

I’m discovering a lot of things that I didn’t know about the history of tea.  For instance, the New York book tells me that in 1808, John Jacob Astor’s ship, The Beaver, sailed for Canton loaded with $45,000 worth of fur and other goods.  She returned with $200,000 worth of Chinese tea.  This helped the once-penniless German immigrant to become America’s first multimillionaire.

It looks like I’ll be enjoying many hours of armchair tea travel with Tea In The City. 

6 comments:

Linda Jennings said...

I have just about worn out my Tea in London and Tea in New York books. They were very helpful in planning afternoon teas on two different trips to both cities.

Diann said...

What a nice set of books to have. I will have to keep my eye out from them.

Val said...

Interesting! I always thought that Astor made most of his money off of real estate and fur. His fur trading company was actually based in Michigan for awhile, up on Mackinac Island.

Angela McRae said...

That is a great buy! Since I have only one of those, thanks for the tip!

Marilyn Miller said...

I have Tea in New York and Tea in Paris. The difficult thing about publishing a book like this is that they go out of date. I would guess London and Paris might have more shops that stay in business. Still fascinating reading.

Finding Joy said...

What a wonderful blog, must go and read more!! Love the photos of those beautiful tea cups.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...