Saturday, July 4, 2009

Georgia Independence Day Festival

fireworks

Happy 4th of July. I celebrated with my family yesterday at Nash Farm Park in Hampton. To experience Colonial Days there was a Creek Encampment, Fife and Drum Corps, Revolutionary Medicine, Wagon and Military Parade and Busy Needles Quilt Guild display. There was also live Colonial Music & Dancing, a Native American Camp & crafts, strolling actors and lots more. Unfortunately, I didn’t learn about the Ladies Tea until after we arrived and missed it by a couple of hours. I’ll be sure to look for the tea next year.

The main draw for me was the Henry Idol Competition at 8 pm. Both of my daughters were chosen as finalists (there were eight). We were thrilled when my younger daughter Cynthia took first place and our other daughter Meredith came fifth. First place prize was $500 and a cruise. The competition was filmed by SBN TV and will be televised on channel 22. There were also interviews and photos in a couple of local papers.

The perfect end to the evening was the Fireworks Extravaganza. It was a spectacular display and a couple of times I felt like I was watching one of those 3D movies with great balls of color coming toward me. My favorites were the huge bursts of gold streamers filled with a twinkling center and of course the simultaneous red, white and blue displays. The only downside to the evening was trying to leave the event and not having enough people to do traffic flow control, but we made it home before 11 pm.

6 comments:

Steph said...

Wow!!! Congratulations to you and your talented daughters! That photo is very enchanting.

Rosemary said...

Congrats to your daughters! Who gets to go on the cruise?
Happy Fourth of July!
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful evening!

Angela McRae said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate the Fourth, and congratulations to your daughters! (And please tell me if there is a tea next year. I might have to head your way for my celebration in 2010.) Love the fireworks photo!

The Prodigal Tourist said...

Great photo--and congratulations! Hope your daughter takes you on the cruise!

Duchess of Tea said...

Just wanted to let you know that I found the book at a small shabby chic shop near my aunt's cabin and I love it...Thank you Luv xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...