Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Chai – Spiced Black Tea Latte

I found something new at BJ’s today.  They had cartons of Tazo Chai in three packs and for the bargain price of $2.99 after a $2 instant rebate.  This spice tea of India is, to me, a delightful beverage.  I like it with a base of strong brewed Assam.  Although I’ll probably never taste the real deal in India, sold everywhere by chai-wallahs (tea sellers), there are still many types to enjoy here in Georgia.   

                    P3240381

The Tazo Chai is very convenient to make a quick cuppa.  Just mix equal portions of the concentrate with milk, soy milk, almond milk or whatever you prefer.  It can be served hot or cold.  Although it contains honey, I like to add a little extra.  Their recipe also includes black pepper, which I usually don’t add to my own recipe.  Cardamom, ginger and cloves are always added when I make chai.  Cinnamon, allspice, pepper and fennel are also good.

                    P3240385

This cup of tea does not look very strong, probably because I go easy on the concentrate to cut down on the bite of the pepper.  Although I prefer my chai made with black tea, there are many commercial preparations made with green tea or herbal tea.

For convenience, I keep a jar of condensed milk mixed with spices in the fridge.  It will keep for a long time. Then I can make a quick cup of chai whenever I like.  Just mix 1 tsp cardamom, 1 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp cloves and 1/2 tsp nutmeg into 14 oz of condensed milk.  I like to use the low fat sweetened kind.  To make a cup of chai, brew a strong cup of black tea and stir in 1 or 2 heaping teaspoons of the spiced milk.  Easy!

3 comments:

Teresa's New Life said...

Thanks for the recipe. I have never made it from scratch before and have only had the Bigalow's brand- looking forward to making it.

Angela McRae said...

I've never even thought of looking for tea at BJ's here in Newnan. Must check this out! And thanks for sharing the chai recipe. Knowing this will keep in the fridge, that sounds like a terrific recipe to try!

Marilyn Miller said...

I love Tazo Chai. Some of the Starbucks serve this brand of chai.

Marmalady's tea patterns will hopefully by on my website by May 1st. Starting tomorrow I will start showing the other patterns on my blog. Come by and visit again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...