Friday, June 20, 2014

The Republic of Tea

Recently, I received some samples from The Republic of Tea

IMG_1150

With temperatures in the 90’s lately, I thought that the Ginger Peach White Tea Tea would be perfect iced.  It tastes smooth, slightly sweet and has a pleasant fragrance.  I quite enjoyed this as iced tea and it is low in caffeine (quite calming). 

The Biodynamic Organic Darjeeling is new to me.  I don’t think that I’ve ever had a biodynamic tea before.  This Darjeeling is from a tea garden in Northern India where the biodynamic practices have boosted soil fertility, while preventing soil erosion.  It’s nice to know that this estate uses only organic fertilizers and renewable energy sources in the tea production. 

IMG_1177

This “Champagne of Tea” is available in the convenience of tea bags.  It’s a pleasant, rounded cup of tea without the addition of milk, but you know what they say about old habits – I still like to add a splash of milk.

In order to do justice to my first experience with Matcha tea, I purchased a bamboo whisk (also known as a chasen).  It is amazing to me that the whisk is made from a single piece of bamboo. 

IMG_1152 You might enjoy this video on the preparation of Matcha using the whisk. 

I don’t own a traditional Matcha bowl, so I made do with a mixing bowl and served the tea in a little Japanese cup.  It’s probably not a good idea to switch bowls. 

IMG_1154

The Matcha was pleasant and not overpoweringly vegetal (a quality I’m trying to warm up to).  I’m looking forward to trying some recipes like Matcha cupcakes, or a healthy smoothie.  Check out the great recipes on The Republic of Tea website.  They have so many kinds of tea, I’m not sure where to start next, but the Downton Abbey Teas caught my eye, especially the Grantham Breakfast Blend. 

 

2 comments:

Marilyn Miller said...

All these teas sound just delicious. Thanks for the review.

Angela McRae said...

What great samples you got to try! Thanks for sharing your reviews!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...